Friday, 23 June 2017

Editing My Photos With GIMP: Curves

After watching "Master Of Photography" On Sky Arts, I heard one of the contestants talking about how she played around with the curves in editing, I had heard the term a few times before, but not really looked into it very much. So I decided to see what I could do with GIMP and what kind of impact it would have on my pictures.

After having learned my lesson about GIMP, I looked at a tutorial before I started playing around with any photos, and I am glad I did, GIMP calls it "the most sophisticated tool for changing the colour, brightness, contrast or transparency" And they're not kidding it is a really powerful tool and quite frankly, the power was in the wrong hands! Even after carefully reading the tutorial I was still struggling to get things even remotely natural looking, but after a lot of practise, I think I have started to get the idea.
The original picture
After adjusting the RGB curves

There are so many things you can do with the curves element, and it is not just useful for colour pictures, you can use it on grayscale pictures too, and if you turn your picture from grayscale back to RGB, you can do even more!
The original 
Grayscale
Grayscale with curve editing, I think it gives it a bit more depth.

The curves tool in GIMP can really help to improve a picture if you are using it correctly, and after some research I found it is something a lot of people avoid. I can sort of see why, it is quite confusing, but I really do think that once you get the hang of it, it could be a massive help.
The original lacked a bit of colour 
After adjusting the curves it looked better

Up Next:Cornwall Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment