Wednesday, 7 June 2017

Editing My Photos With GIMP

Until this month, the only knowledge I had of editing photos was cropping, that's pretty much it and I am not very good at that. So the idea of editing my photos to try to improve them filled me with panic, but I knew that it needed to be done.

I also knew I needed to find myself a decent bit of photo editing software that didn't cost the earth, because quite frankly I didn't want to spend a fortune on something I knew was going to take me ages to get the hang of because I am just starting out.

So after an extensive search and ruling out some terrible online editors, I came across some very helpful people that recommended GIMP to me. So I decided to give it a try and I downloaded it.

I made a massive mistake by not watching tutorials first, going in unprepared was so confusing! But after reading a couple of articles and watching some brief tutorials I started to get the hang of the very basics.

GIMP is a really helpful piece of software and it is also totally free, it has loads of features, some of which I haven't even begun to explore yet, one step at a time. But it is actually a fun program to use, so I can't wait to explore it a bit more.

GIMP is beginner friendly, but like anything, you still need to learn you way around. So if you do decide to download it, then watch some tutorials and read some articles to give you a better understanding of how it works.

I'm still learning as I said, but I am enjoying using it and will keep you updated as I learn!


                                
My first attempt at removing an item using the "clone" method




The second attempt was something a bit bigger,
any advice on how to make it look smoother
would be greatly appreciated.            

Next: Learning to use filters in GIMP

No comments:

Post a Comment