Friday, 16 June 2017

Editing My Photos:The "dodge" tool in GIMP

Using the dodge tool in GIMP is a skill I am struggling to get the hang of, I understand it's uses and how it can really help to improve certain areas of a picture, but it is definitely something that requires a lot of practise.

I have recently realised the massive importance of shadows in a picture and how just the right amount of shadow can make a picture brilliant, but too much shadow can really spoil it. The dodge tool in GIMP is a great way of helping to lighten up some shadows just a little bit so the picture is a little less dark.


From what I can tell, you gain a bit of light, but lose a bit of quality.


The dodge tool is helpful, and with some of the dramatic lighting effects that you get in Cornwall it can come in pretty handy. But it is something that I definitely need to work on because I think some of the pictures have come out looking unnatural.



I used the dodge tool and an "unsharp mask" filter on this one. 



As usual I am still getting the hang of it, but I am always grateful for any advice!

Up Next: Eden Project!

No comments:

Post a Comment